I am not a fashionista by any means, but since becoming a mom, I’ve had to become much more practical about the clothing and accessories I purchase. Gone are the days of buying anything that requires dry cleaning, ironing (mom or not, who has time for that?!) or can’t just be thrown in the wash after being spit-up on several times.
Fashion is not everything to me, but I do like to be somewhat trendy and fun. And I have sworn to myself I will never wear those bad “mom jeans.” So, for new moms wanting to be hip yet practical, try these on for size:
- Leggings. I didn’t want to embrace this trend for awhile, but it got the best of me when I was pregnant. Once you try them on, you won’t go back. So comfortable. Can be dressed up or down. And they are perfect for a post-partum body.
- A great pair of flats. For me, wearing heels isn’t an option when schlepping the carseat around. Those things are heavy. I don’t want to run the risk of tripping over my own feet (which happens about 5 times a day) and dropping the baby. Personally, I love these cute Crocs, but DSW also has a great selection for those nights on the town with baby in tow. (But when baby isn’t with me, I will rock heels!)
- Tops that zip or button. Pieces of clothing that you can layer are a wardrobe must for new moms. Handy for nursing, but also for puke situations. Baby spit-up on the first layer? No prob. Just peel off a layer and you’re good to go.
- Small earrings. I am the queen of big, funky earrings. Not so fun when you have a baby that’s enamored by them. Hands down the best present I’ve ever gotten from my hubby are small post earrings in my daughter’s birthstone (opal). They match with everything, and baby doesn’t want to grab them every chance she gets. If you can con your significant other into some diamond baguettes as a push present, that might be the best route!
- Cute cargo pants/capris. These are fabulous for the pocket space. Great for binky keeping or for a small camera/phone for those Kodak moments.
What are your favorite versatile clothes and accessories?