There are oodles of amazingly tasty products here in Michigan. As a huge supporter of buying local when possible, I’m always looking for a tasty treat that I feel good about purchasing. Although it was a very hard list to narrow down, here are 5 of my favorite treats from my home state:
1. Hudsonville Ice Cream – This company makes seriously delicious flavors of homemade ice cream. My favorites are definitely between Grand Traverse Bay Cherry Fudge and Candy Bar Whirl. (I also adore Michigan-made Moose Tracks too!) Twitter: @Hudsonville_IC and @Moose_Tracks
2. Faygo Pop (or soda for you non-Michiganders) – Nothing beats a bottle of Faygo on a hot summer day. My favorite is and always will be Red Pop. It brings back wonderful summer memories of being a kid and having that red mustache surrounding my mouth after taking a swig. Twitter: @MyFaygo
3. Simply Suzanne Granola – Disclaimer: I’m currently doing some freelance work for Suzanne, but work aside, this is just a good product. It’s available in four sweet and savory flavors, but my favorite is the dark chocolate and coffee. You can’t go wrong with that combo! Twitter: @SuzanneVier
4. McClure’s Pickles – Salty snacks are such a weakness of mine. I love, love McClure’s pickles – especially the garlic dill. I also love the story of how McClure’s came to be. A lesson to us all to cherish those family recipes. Next on my list of theirs to try is the bloody mary mix. Who’s bringing over the vodka? Twitter: @McCluresPickles
5. Garden Fresh Gourmet – Jack’s Special salsa needs to be available by the gallon. It’s sooo good and tastes so fresh with “copious amounts of cilantro.” Additionally, the company’s tortilla chips and hummus are mega delish, too. Twitter: @GFSalsa
If you’re interested in learning more about buying Michigan made products, check out Buy Michigan Now.
What are your favorite local treats from Michigan and beyond?