Ever wonder what to get as a baby shower gift for a new mama? With aisles and aisles of colorful items, it can be hard to cut through the clutter. Try these items to nab a gift that is not only budget-friendly at under $50, but also extremely useful.
- Bumbo – OK, this, along with the Boppy might be the most ridiculous baby product names ever (and you’ll probably mix them up – everyone does), but whatever – they work! The Bumbo is a portable seat that comes in handy when feeding a little one solids on the road (or for a summer picnic, perhaps?). Add a tray (sold separately), and voila!, meal time without the bulk of a highchair. It’s especially helpful when first introducing solids or when baby isn’t quite ready to sit up on his/her own. Babies love it because it gives them a whole new view of the world. Price range: $30-$40, Tray approx. $10. (These are great to look for at garage sales and Mom-to-Mom sales.
- ItzBeen Timer – Another invention to make a mom’s life easier. This little timer helps to track how much time has passed since the last diaper change, feeding, naptime and which breast you fed from last. Especially during those first weeks of getting acclimated, it’s crucial. As a new mom, it’s hard to remember when the last time you ate was, let alone when the baby ate. So helpful and worth every penny. Price range: $20-$25
- Homedics Sound Spa Lullaby Machine – This little machine not only produces a variety of sounds including a few lullabies, a heartbeat, the ocean and rain, but it also has a neat light projector with different scenes to lull baby to sleep (think counting sheep). We live in a ranch that is 40 years old and has wood floors that reallllly creak. This little noisemaker saves us from waking up our little gal every time we go to sleep or get up in the morning. Plus, it’s only $19.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond…that’s means $15 with a $5 off coupon! Little K has been sleeping through the night since 8 weeks…and I swear it’s because of this little device. Price range: $20-$30
- Boppy – This funky-shaped pillow isn’t the cheapest thing, but darn, it’s helpful. In fact, I can’t nurse my baby very comfortably without it. Yes, a regular pillow works, but it’s not as supportive or conducive to your body’s curves. My husband also likes to use it when he bottle feeds her. For many moms, it’s the perfect solution for a comfortable nursing experience. I just wish I invented it! Price range: $25-$40, fun covers are additional costs at varying prices.
- A Portable Seat/Swing – How else can a mama shower? I especially like the Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker since it can be used for a few years. A lot of folks buy the big, expensive swings that take up a TON of room and are hard to move. If you have small living quarters like we do, I’d suggest trying a portable swing or rocker. Approx. price range: $40-$70 (versus $120-$200 for the full size swings).
There are tons of other great baby products out there and I’m still new at this myself…what are your favorites?