It’s my hubby’s b-day! Happy b-day to my love and best friend!
Can you believe he does not like cake?! Or sweets in general (blasphemy, I know). He’s a farm boy, so he likes meat. And cheese.
Every year I struggle with what to make him, because I feel it is my wifely duties to do something special that’s homedmade and not store-bought. A few years ago, I came across this fantastic breakfast casserole that’s as meat-y and mushroomtastic as they come.
So, during the past few years, I’ve made it my mission to make him breakfast on the morning of his b-day since I know it’s a meal he loves.
Here’s the recipe for what he’s getting. I promise the men in your life will love it. Heck, I even love it – it’s yummy, feeds a lot of people, and leftovers taste good, too.
- 2½ cups seasoned croutons (I generally use 1.5 packages) - or enough to fill the bottom of a 9x13 pan
- 1 lb. spicy pork sausage
- 4 eggs
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 4 oz. can of mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 8 oz. bag of shredded cheese (colby/monterey jack combo)
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- Spray 9x13 glass pan and spread croutons in bottom
- Brown sausage, drain excess grease and place on top of croutons
- Mix eggs and milk. Stir in soup, mushrooms, cheese and dry mustard.
- Pour over croutons and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake for 50-55 minutes at 325 degrees.
Very filling – so if your man is up for it, serve with fresh fruit!
What are your go-to recipes for the men in your life?