Karina’s Birth Story

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

Many women have beautiful birth stories where they don’t need pain medication, they can move about, or even soak in a tub. That’s not the way my births tend to go. I labor long and hard and have large babies. If you are looking for a beautiful birth story, don’t read this. This is my real experience of labor and it ain’t pretty.

It was Friday and I was 39 weeks pregnant when baby Karina decided to make her way into the world.

Kinley was at grandma’s house and I had an appointment with the doctor who was going to induce me the following Monday due to the baby’s size being in the 92nd percentile. He checked me, but was gentle. I was almost bummed he was so gentle because I wanted him to strip my membranes to avoid an induction, but he couldn’t because I had Group B Strep and needed antibiotics at the time of delivery.

But he did mention he wouldn’t be surprised if I went into labor on my own over the weekend.

I left the office thinking of all the old wives tales I could think of to start labor.

I stopped on the way home and got Taco Bell for lunch. Didn’t eat anything too spicy, but was hoping the sheer junkiness of it would make her stir.

I walked around Target for a long time, admiring all the items I still want to purchase for our new home.

I got home, took a dose of Evening Primrose Oil {many midwives swear by it} and re-packed my hospital bag, organizing the items better.

The hubby and I went to dinner at an Italian restaurant, where I ordered eggplant parmesan {another wives tale} and a beer {figured it would help me relax}.

I prayed she would come naturally.

After dinner, we picked Kinley up and joked with my mom that tonight might be the night.

Two hours later, I made a call to my OB nurse friend: I thought my water was breaking in a slow leak. After a few questions, she told me to call the doctor, so I did, and off we went to the hospital to check if indeed it was my water.

Right before leaving for the hospital…

The drive to the hospital was peaceful. The roads were calm and I was calm. I had contractions, but they were not painful at all and were not consistent. The husband and I joked on the way and I arrived at triage happy as a clam. It was around 10 p.m.

I waited and waited for the nurse to come check me. The baby’s heartbeat was consistent and so was my lack of real contractions. Finally, the nurse arrived and confirmed that my water was leaking and they had to admit me. I breathed a sigh of relief — I did not want to tell everyone I mistakenly thought I was going into labor!

I got into the room where I’d be spending the night. The IV went in…it hurt per usual, but it only took the nurse one try, so I was happy {I have horrible veins}. After and hour of inconsistent contractions, the pitocin started to help jumpstart labor. Each half hour, more was given and still nothing. My mom arrived and her and I chatted and laughed and I probably drove the nurses nuts from having to unplug my IV so I could get up and go to the bathroom several times.

Then 5 a.m. hit. I was dilated to a four and recalling the painful contractions I remembered from my previous birth…Like a little man inside me, squeezing my uterus like a sponge. After about an hour of suffering, I decided it was time for an epidural.

The anesthesiologist was a prick and had absolutely no bedside manner, but I have to say, he was good at his job. He got my spine right away and it HURT going in — my first sign that my epidural with Kinley did NOT work as I suspected {it didn’t hurt at all with her}. I kept everyone laughing because I was telling them how I “itched like a crack addict,” — a good sign the meds were working.

The epidural provided relief for an hour and then the contractions returned with a vengeance. I felt like I was ready to push and could feel the head descending. I was checked and was dilated to an 8 and the nurses prepped the room for delivery. My nurse, Philomena, a jolly gal from Nigeria with almost 40 years of experience, quickly took a break, knowing I would be pushing soon.

The hubby was the only one I wanted with me. He helped me remember to breathe and calmed me down when I screamed “I need to push! Where is the doctor?” I was on my side, with my legs closed, and I couldn’t help but push with each contraction. I felt her head coming down and I couldn’t move. I moaned loudly through the contractions and started to get angry the doctor wasn’t there yet. I’m sure my wails were not pretty to the people walking by my room and I got sassy with my mom telling her to sit down because she was making me nervous.

After some time, the doctor arrived with a resident, as well as Philomena. The head was crowning and we were ready to get the baby out once and for all. I could not wait to push!

I pushed, in between screams of “I can’t do this!” I felt her ripping my insides apart and I screamed in pain. However, I knew there was no turning back. She was on her way. I reached down and felt her head. It motivated me to push harder and get her out so I could finally meet her. The doctor had to make a cut to get her large head out, but I was fine with it — I just needed her to come out.

After just seven minutes of pushing, which felt more like an eternity to me, she arrived; healthy, pink and screaming to tell the world of her arrival.

They gave her to me and I lay there sobbing, trying to talk to her calmly, but aware that my body was in shock. I couldn’t stop shaking as the doctor stitched my third degree cut and I waited to hear her weight. When I heard 9 pounds, 2.5 ounces, I laughed. She was 1.5 ounces bigger than her sister and had arrived almost two full weeks before her. It was like they were already competing.

I was so emotional by the time I could really hold her…

She cried almost the entire time I was being stitched {again, felt like an eternity}. But once they handed her to me, she calmed down. I sang “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” to her. She latched strongly immediately. And the mother-child bond that can never be broken officially began.

While I am glad this experience is over, I wouldn’t change it for the world. How could I ever be angry at this face?

Just one day old at the hospital

Did you have an easy, beautiful birth or a downright horrible birth like myself?

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 0 Flares ×

Comments

1. So happy that you have a healthy baby girl! (My birth experience? I was out like a light – emergency c-section).
    Dianna recently posted..Sailing On The WolfMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

I sometimes wonder why they ever stopped that practice of knocking women out ;) Just kidding…Glad Marshall came out healthy and happy too! Emergency C’s are very scary I can imagine.

2. Tonja
    Twitter: tvdeegan
    says:

Yep, you had it easy – 2 emergency C-sections here. Tried to do VBAC but had a little girl who wanted to be like her brother :) I love the slow leak, too – I had a gusher and had to put all kinds of towels in the car – yuck!! Isn’t childbirth great?!?!

• Mrs. Weber says:

Seriously…Why did you and I both choose to do it more than once?! I had nightmares I would have the gusher in public. I’ve been lucky so far!

3. Whoa, I hurt for you. You’ve read my 2nd birth story – I was lucky my little guy came easily and quickly. But he was a small one at only 7 pounds 2 oz :) And she’s beautiful!
    Alison recently posted..This CityMy Profile

4. Beautiful story. I love that you have it written down for them to read one day and wish I thought of singing them a song right when I got to hold them. Sweet way to welcome her into the world. My labors were quick and easy. Bentley was 4 lbs. It was the pregnancy that was hard, I was in the hospital trying to stop labor for months and had similar problems with my first. It was hard, I one day hope to help or visit woman that go through the same. Even with supportive family and friends it can be scary and lonely. I’m so glad she is here safe and sound! Congrats!

• Mrs. Weber says:

I do not envy you in the slightest, Lara. You deserve a medal. A tough pregnancy would be much more difficult than a tough labor. I was done with the entire process in 12 hours, so I really can’t complain.
      Your boys are such cuties though – I hope they praise you one day after hearing what you went through for them :)

5. Kimberly
    Twitter: KimberlyAMuro
    says:

I have very long and hard labors too. My last two babies were well over 9 lbs each.
    She is absolutely beautiful!
    Kimberly recently posted..My Quiet HourMy Profile

6. Thanks for sharing this, Lauren! I love reading Karina’s birth story. So glad that your nightmare didn’t come true and you weren’t delivering a baby on 696. ;)

All the crazy pain is well worth it in the end. She is absolutely precious. I love the moment that they captured with all your emotions coming out. You’ll love that picture forever.
    Elena recently posted..Salsa Me, PleaseMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

Ugh – yes…delivering a baby on the x-way was my worst nightmare!

You are absolutely right – the pain is SO worth it. She’s a great baby, so I feel very blessed – even if she wasn’t so fun to birth ;)

7. She is absolutely adorable! Reading your story was just like reliving the birth of my kids…. and sort of inspired me to write about the birth mine.

I hope that all is going well at home with the girls.
    Jackie recently posted..A trip to the dairy farm & giveawayMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

I hope you do! I love reading birth stories…It’s amazing how it’s completely different experiences for all women.

And yup, all is well, just learning to balance and get into a routine!

8. So glad you made it to the hospital! She is beautiful!!! Julia’s birth was…interesting. Justin’s was just fast and furious! 2 hours start to finish? It hurt like Haiti, but I’ll take it. LOL

Give some extra loves to those beautiful girls for me!
    ~S
    Stacy recently posted..I did something crafty!My Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

Oh, I would LOVE a 2-hour birth! I hope that’s an indication of how easy he will be in his teen years ;)

9. She’s adorable! Congratulations! I must admit though, the description of the epidural made me cringe. UGGGH!! Needles and spines! EEEK! lol

My son’s birth was fine. He was 5 weeks early, I didn’t know I was in labor. I thought I had to go to the bathroom and nothing came out. I went to the bathroom like 40 times (I kid you not) and found out after I was dialated to four. LOL 5 lbs 7 oz.

I lost one little lady at 28 weeks. Placenta Previa and severe preE had me get a classic/vertical cut, ridding all of my chances of a VBAC.

11 months later Miss A was born….8 weeks early and a teensie 3 lbs 15 oz.

Your baby girl almost weighed both of my kids together. :)

I hope you’re all healthy, happy, and healing quickly! <3
    Angela recently posted..Crunch Berry KrispiesMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

Wow, you have some stories, girl! Thanks for sharing. Your babies have turned into beautiful children. It’s crazy how each pregnancy and birth is SUCH a blessing. They are miracles, whether 3 lbs or 12 lbs!

10. OK, can’t help but think that our conversation had something to do with your intro, but I love hearing Karina’s birth story again. You did a good job, mama!

• Mrs. Weber says:

HA! Our convo MAY have had something to do with it ;) Nah, you’re not my first friend to have a beautiful, natural birth. I wish I could say that for one of these girls, but I guess it’s just not destined to happen that way for me! I am so happy they make good drugs for women like me!

11. 9 lb baby! Oh my goodness that’s almost double the size of mine. I was blessed, the only thing that hurt was the contractions. Great post and what beautiful baby!

• Mrs. Weber says:

Well, Stella, I’m almost double your size, so it just makes sense ;)

Your little munchkin is GORGEOUS! I love all the photos you post. You and Tim did great work :D

12. Nicole Lawrence says:

Wow! Big baby , and it sounded very painful. I feel like I had it easy with my little girl. I went to the Dr. that Thursday, I was 39 weeks preg, I had her check my cervix to see if I was dialated, she said 1 cm which could mean any day or another 2 weeks. That evening I started feeling contractions, went to the hospital, they were not consistent so they sent me home, they started getting closer together and stronger so I decided to take a bath to relax. We then called the hospital because they were 5 minutes apart. Went back to the hospital. They gave me the epidural so I could rest for a few hours. When I woke up from my nap , the nurse told me I was fully dilated and that she was sending the doc in. I had an overwhelming urge to push, so I began to push. They said wait for the dr. so I tried but it was hard. I was pushing even when I didn’t have contractions because I wanted baby OUT! I push for 10 mins and baby girl was out! Healthy 6 lb 15 oz.

13. Erin
    Twitter: UniquelyEN
    says:

I am so happy for you and your family. I seriously have tears in my eyes while reading this . . . I’m such a sucker! Darn kids have made me that way.
    I’m sorry to hear that you had a hard labor. Karina is just beautiful and totally worth it.
    My labors have gone fairly quickly. I was too scared to get an epidural with B and managed to have him without. I didn’t have one with the other 2 either. On a funny note, when we went to wake B and G up when I was in labor with Baby M, we found that B had a bloody nose and needed to clean him up. G had an accident and I cleaned him up. By the time I got to the hospital I was dilated to 8. My doctor told me it was a good thing I didn’t find something else to clean up!

Congratulations! She is simply beautiful! How is big sister doing?
    Erin recently posted..I’m Still HereMy Profile

14. Sheri Watkins says:

Great job Mrs. Weber! She’s so beautiful! For such a tough labor, she was pink and pretty by day 2:) I had tough labors. In fact your story gave me flash backs, LOL. My little guys all looked awful after; mishaped heads and black eyes. Mikey’s whole face was purple. His head looked liked a giant grape!
    They’re worth it though, aren’t they?
    Congrats again!
    Sheri

15. Christine Stevens says:

thank you for sharing your story, its nice to know I’m not the only one with a abnormal story. Although I am starting to think abnormal is more normal than normal. I am going to try to make this as short as possible. In a word Hope’s delivery was traumatic. Had to be induced at 37 1/2 weeks, had to have my water broken – can we say painful. It took an hour with contractions less than 1 min apart for the guy to get there to put in the epidural and then it faded as I got closer. I had to have 2 boosters and it still didn’t ease the pain. After 11 hrs of labor I got to 9 cm then it got really painful. I was crying that I was sorry but I just can’t do this by that point. She turned her head and put me back to 7 cm so I had to have an emerg c-section. Since the epidural wasn’t working they had to knock me out. I am very greatful for my perfect little one but I wish I could have seen her and heard her when she was first born. I didn’t get to see her for a few hours and then I was so doped up that I didn’t really get a look at her for 2 more days and didn’t get to hold her for several more days because she was in the NICU. My hubby is already talking about another one and I am like hold up, lets just give me time to get over the trauma from her and let me enjoy my wonderful little girl first.

16. Wow! That was a long labor huh? But my sister-in-law was worst, she have to labor almost 2 days.. Thanks God she delivered the baby well..
    I am so touched with your photo..
    Born27 recently posted..How to conference call on blackberryMy Profile

17. Hi Mrs Weber, congratulation for having an adorable baby girl… Karina is just day old in this picture but I can see the beauty of your sweet little darling. Thanks for sharing your experience, I have a c-section with my 2 kids.

18. Yay, I finally got to read about your birth story! I have been playing catch up:) I totally spaced that you have this blog when I used to read it all the time! Wish we lived closer so we could share this baby time together. Hugs to you cousin.

• Aww, thanks for reading! I haven’t been as diligent about blogging obviously while juggling the two, but I’m learning to balance quickly :)

I can’t wait to hear/see pics of your new bundle. You’re getting down to the wire! Thinking of you! xox

Trackbacks

1. [...] entered the world in a semi-traumatic state, but quickly became our angel baby, constantly loved on by everyone – especially your big [...]