Mmmm…nothing says summer like a cool cocktail – especially when you’re not pregnant (yet!). Watch my video below to learn how to make an easy drink I think I invented and dubbed the Marilyn Monroe. Let’s just say it’s an adult spin on a kid classic. This video is intended for those 21+. ((And don’t you like the subtitle it froze on? I promise it’s a tasty drink!))
Every kid has that recipe that they go gaga over. Tex Mex dip was my sweet spot growing up.
My mom always stocked our cupboards with healthy, boring stuff and I always had the healthiest lunch at the table in elementary school. This is the worst fate ever to a 10 year old because nobody ever wanted to trade anything with me.
But, there was one unhealthy thing my mom would make for an occasional meal (not even a snack!) and that was what I knew as Tex Mex dip (you may know it in some form of a 7 layer dip).
She typically made it during the summer when our house, without air conditioning, was miserable and she didn’t want to stand in front of the hot stove. I have good memories of our family of five gathered around our small oak table scooping dip for our meal and sweating like mad.
Man is this stuff good. I took my mom’s tattered recipe and made it up north this past weekend, and it was gone in just a few hours (it makes a huge portion and tastes good the next day). There’s lots of variations of this kind of dip, but this one is still my favorite.
TEX MEX DIP
2 cans bean dip (found in the chip aisle)
2 avocados (mashed with salt and pepper)
½ taco seasoning packet
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
Can of black olives
1 small onion
2-3 small chopped tomatoes
Shredded cheese – 8 oz. (cheddar or taco)
2 bags of your favorite tortilla chips
1) Bean dip
3) Mix taco seasoning with sour cream and mayo
6) Black olives
Serve with chips…and maybe even a margarita.
Thanks, Mama Kat for the fun prompt!
Love children’s books? Make sure to enter my giveaway below to win a copy of a new adorable book!
Love this magnet from Etsy! Just $4 here.
Everyone loves the blue box on occasion, and it’s something almost everyone has in the cupboard at all times. While it’s fun to appeal to kids (and what kid doesn’t love mac n’ cheese?), us adults have to find ways to have fun with our share, too. Try these simple fixes to turn the $1 treat into a tasty low-budget meal.
1. Tex Mex Beefy Mac – Salsa, ground beef and corn make this a quick meal, perfect for leftovers, too. Or, even put it it right into a tortilla shell.
2. Macaroni and Tuna Noodle Casserole – Just make the box as prepared, add tuna and cream of mushroom soup. If you’re feeling like being classic with the recipe, add in fresh (or frozen) peas.
3. Old Fashioned Baked Mac and Cheese – Go into a comfort food coma with a low-budget twist, including Italian dressing and diced tomatoes.
4. Macaroni Lasagna – Forget about cooking those long annoying noodles with this recipe – just add sauce, beef and mozzarella.
5. Macaroni and Cheese Chilled Salad – Heading to a picnic? Try this recipe including celery, boiled eggs and tomato for something yummy and different.
My husband has also gotten me into Frank’s Red Hot lately. Now I can’t have macaroni and cheese or cheesy potatoes without it!
How do you spice up your blue box treat?
Warmer weather means grillin’ season is here. Try these quick fixes to dress up the classic American fave.
1. Ranchy Burger
Ranch goes great on everything, right?! While prepping the ground beef/turkey for patties, drop in a little extra love with half of a dry ranch packet (for each pound). Makes it juicy and flavorful.
2. Funyons with Onions Burger
Another easy fix for deliciousness – just add in a packet of onion soup mix to make extra oniony and tasty burgers. I’m not a huge fan of raw onions, but I love this concoction.
3. Green “O love” Mayo Spread Burger
Chop up some green olives and add to a little mayo to make a simple gourmet spread for your grilled treat.
4. Stuffed A-Plenty Burger
Think of your favorite ingredient. Add into your meat. Grill and voila! Mushrooms, bacon, bleu cheese, etc. galore to gobble up and enjoy.
5. Love Spice Burger
Love spicy concoctions? This AllRecipes Bronco Burger might have you drooling…literally from all the delicious heat!
How do you dress up your burger?