Today is my 27th birthday. To celebrate, I will be having sushi and cocktails later today. But, in reflection of my 27 years on the planet, I’ve decided to compile a list of some of the things I have learned thus far on my aging journey. Please note I have A LOT of learning left to do.
1. Boys (and girls) can break hearts, but there is always something better waiting in the wings.
2. My parents really did know what’s up.
3. I’m not too old to make new friends.
4. If I want to feel good, I need to do something good for someone else.
5. Being older doesn’t make you wiser.
6. To embrace my word vomit. If you don’t like me for it, we weren’t meant to be.
7. When finding a partner, choose someone who makes you smile through tears.
8. Good grades only get you so far in life. Kindness and hard work get you furthest.
9. A job I loved meant nothing once I held my baby for the first time.
10. Perfect strangers can give great advice.
11. Just because you can be connected 24/7 doesn’t mean you should be.
12. To go to bed thankful each night and always say prayers for those in need.
13. The best way to grieve is through time and girlfriends. And ice cream.
14. To embrace change. It’s not always easy, but it happens for a reason.
15. Mixing wine, beer and liquor in the same night is not a good idea.
16. On that note, $5 bottles of wine can taste just as good as $75 bottles.
17. Having a strong spiritual life is crucial when it comes to answering life’s uncertainties.
18. Judging someone is unfair. Treat each person as a blank slate.
19. To savor the joys of life’s simple pleasures: a great book, clean sheets fresh out of the dryer, bubbles, etc.
20. Saving for the future needs to begin with your first paycheck.
21. It’s important to think before speaking (I’ve yet to master this one).
22. Becoming a parent makes you love your spouse on a new, beautiful level.
23. Money is nice to have, but I’d rather be rich with love.
24. To trust my instincts. They never have steered me wrong.
25. Life is shades of gray, not black and white. Hence my belief a two-party political system is whack.
26. To choose happiness, not chase it.
27. The next five minutes could be the most important ever. Live in the now.
What are some of your most notable lessons learned thus far?