Summertime means it’s time for tasty grilled foods and fun by water here in Michigan. But whether you’re by a lake, a river, an ocean or a pool, music is always a must. Try these jams to get you ready to celebrate the hottest time of the year.
- Summer in the City – Lovin’ Spoonful: This 60’s song is such a great tune for a happy summer playlist. Favorite lyric: “Despite the heat, it’ll be alright.” And who doesn’t like the sounds of cars honking and a jackhammer in the song? Very creative I must say.
- All Summer Long – Kid Rock: OK, so maybe this is so last year, but set to the beats of “Sweet Home Alabama,” it just really paints the picture of what summer is all about. Favorite lyric: “We didn’t have no internet, but man I never will forget the way the moonlight shined upon her hair.” Who remembers a time without Internet? Seems so far away…
- It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere – Alan Jackson ft. Jimmy Buffett: Because when the weather is warm and you’re on vacation, you don’t need an excuse to make a cocktail in the morning. ‘Nuff said. Favorite lyric: “Pour me something tall and strong, make it a “Hurricane” before I go insane. It’s only half-past twelve but I don’t care. It’s five o’clock somewhere.”
- Island In The Sun – Weezer: Such a happy song. And if you’re an animal lover, you have to watch the music video because it’s adorable and features puppies, kittens, monkeys and more. Favorite lyric: “When you’re on a golden sea, you don’t need no memory. Just a place to call your own, as we drift into the zone.”
- Where The Boat Leaves From – Zac Brown Band: Anyone who boats during the summer will love this jam. Favorite lyric: “Take one part sand, and one part sea, one part shade of a ‘nana tree, and the drinks they are cold and the reggae is hot, and I know this is the place for me.”
I could also add to the list the entire Jimmy Buffett collection and countless other great summer jams. What tunes/bands get you in the mood for summer?