Having a baby, a limited budget and a hubby who works long hours doesn’t really make going to the gym an easy task. So, to get my exercise on and get my nature fix, I enjoy taking long walks in scenic places. Here are 5 metro Detroit places I like to stroll with the little one in tow.
5. Kensington Metropark (Milford) – If you don’t already have the Michigan Recreation pass, you can get into the park for $5 per car. And believe me, it’s worth it – it’s gorgeously maintained, plus there’s lake swimming, canoeing, disc golfing, a petting farm (super cute) and so much more.
4. Detroit RiverWalk – The beautiful stretch of concrete along the river makes for a peaceful walk – especially at sunrise or sunset. Nice features for kiddos include a lake creature carousel, snack bar and bike rental spot in Rivard Plaza. Just be sure to also pack a swimsuit because the little ones will not be able to resist a run through the fountain on GM Plaza. (Free street parking available near Rivard Plaza)
3. Yates Cider Mill (Rochester) – Walk on the beautiful 1/2 mile river walk behind the mill for some beautiful scenery…including possible critter* sightings. After your walk, reward yourself with a delicious apple cider slush for just under $3. You will never want a 711 slurpee again, trust me! *I may or may not have seen a baby snapping turtle and a snake on the path, but don’t be scared!
2. Friendship Woods & Nature Center (Madison Heights)– I love the little trail surrounding the nature center. It’s just long enough for a little exercise, but short enough for baby not to need a bottle before leaving. Lots of interesting history along the walk, too. For instance, did you know that Oakland County was swampland and considered unlivable for quite some time after Detroit’s founding? Interesting, huh!? Another item to note: Please consider dropping a donation in the box as well since the nature center is currently in danger of closing.
1. Beautiful, historic downtowns. I couldn’t choose just one, so I’m choosing 5 of my favorite walkable downtowns in metro Detroit to explore and window shop: Milford, Rochester, Ann Arbor, Brighton and Plymouth. All have fab little boutiques, yummy restaurants and great people-watching.
Where are your favorite places to walk around?