I love making salads in the summer. Most of the time I just throw together whatever ingredients are in the fridge, but there’s one I absolutely love and that’s any type of taco salad. We don’t make it often because even despite my best efforts to hide foods, my husband ALWAYS gets into the Doritos before I can make it. He has even made a point to tell me not to buy them because he can’t resist their magical powers. So, I only buy them when they are on sale and I can use them for this recipe. Great to bring to parties to share!
Taco Salad with Doritos Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 bottle of ranch dressing (low-fat is OK)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce or one package of Romaine, cut-up
- 1 bag of nacho cheese Doritos
- 2 cups Mexican style cheese
Optional ingredients:black beans, avocado, onions and tomato
1. Brown the ground beef and drain fat. Stir in the taco seasoning as indicated on the package. Place in the fridge for an hour to cool it.
2. Cut up the lettuce.
3. Crush part of the bag of chips (I generally take small sections in a Ziploc bag and generally add about 1 cup of crushed chips).
4. Toss the broken chips into a bowl with the lettuce, cheese and tomatoes.
5. When the meat is cooled, break it up and combine it with the lettuce mix and toss in half of a bottle of Ranch (or to taste).
6. Toss in extra ingredients as you wish.
Makes a large salad, with approximately 6 servings.