Unfortunately, Degroot’s Strawberry Farm has closed as of 2021. I suggest checking out Spicers!
One item that is always on our summer bucket list is strawberry picking. My kids often say berry picking is one of their favorite traditions we do each summer! This year we decided to visit Degroot’s Strawberry Farm in Gregory, Mich.
I’ve highlighted Spicer Orchards before, but Degroot’s has a special place in my heart since it’s where I always visited growing up. The property is beautiful and paired with a cute little area of farm animals, it makes for a great outing with kids.
Strawberries are typically in season in mid-to-late June. The season isn’t long, so go while they’re fresh!
How it works at Degroot’s:
- Park in the grass lot.
- Grab a container or bring your own.
- Wait for the tractor to take you into the field where patrons can pick.
- Hop on the tractor for a quick ride out to the field.
- Pick your little heart out.
- Head back on the tractor.
- Get in line to weigh your berries and pay. Note: Degroot’s is cash or check ONLY.
- Bring quarters and feed the farm animals!
Perfect little morning!
TIPS FOR PICKING AT DEGROOT’S STRAWBERRY FARM
- Go early or late. It gets hot and crowded on the weekends and afternoons. Degroot’s is actually open until 8 p.m. during the week, so evenings are a good, cooler time to go as well.
- The best berries are usually found in the middle of the plant. Dig in and look under the leaves!
- We chant “the redder the better” with the kids so they understand picking green berries is a bad idea.
- If you have kids that *need* to hold a container, bring them! Each of my three have their own pail to carry so there’s zero drama over who is holding it. I usually just bring tupperware and then dump all of the berries in the larger container in the end.
- If you have a baby, wear ’em. Strawberries are planted close together so not ideal for a stroller.
- Wear sunscreen and bug spray and apply at home.
- Pack water. I bring a backpack with a few small snacks and water for everyone…Because someone is guaranteed to be hungry and thirsty while in the field.
- Use the bathroom before heading into the field.
- Bring quarters if your kids would like to feed the animals. They are very friendly, and will likely charm you into feeding them from the vending machine.
- Don’t dress the kids too nicely because between strawberry juice and the playground, they are going to get dirty.
- 2019 pricing is $2.03/pound
Degroot’s is located at 4232 Bull Run Road in Gregory.
Berry picking hours are Monday – Friday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Visit their website here or Facebook page.
Where is your favorite spot to pick strawberries?
Leave a Reply