You know how I said the other day I need to take better care of myself? Well, I’ve done a pretty great job at it during the past few days, and Saturday provided me with the icing on the cake: I got spoiled and was able to enjoy a fabulous treat — a facial.
The only other time I had a facial, it wasn’t quite a relaxing experience per say – it was more like torture in the form of picking at my face.
However, my experience at a local spot, FACE Skincare~Medical~Wellness, was completely different. The moment I walked into the door, I felt relaxed, surrounded by glorious scents and soft music playing in the background.
My appointment was with the owner, Holly, and I enjoyed getting to know her and learning a lot about what my skin is like and what my new daily regimen should start including (more SPF in my make-up, using an exfoliant every few days and getting a good daytime moisturizer with vitamin C). I especially enjoyed learning that Holly started her career by rebuilding her own skin from cystic acne, thus creating the inspiration behind her company.
Here’s Holly! Isn’t she gorgeous? *Photo provided by FACE Skincare*
I commented to her that giving a facial must be like chemistry for her – and it totally is. She concocted all kind of different toners, masks and moisturizers fit for my face – and each layer seemed to smell and feel better than the first. I felt as though I was a canvas being painted on — that’s how passionate I could tell Holly is about her job — it came through on the way she handled my face and made me feel so relaxed.
The lovely room where I relaxed and enjoyed my facial…I even got heated booties on my feet!
I highly recommend FACE to anyone around metro Detroit looking for a great place for some skin renewal. If you do go for a facial, here are a few tips:
- Shave your legs. I didn’t even think my feet/lower legs would be involved with a facial, but part of the process was to enter a complete state of relaxation, so my shoulders, arms and even my feet got a mini massage…it was AMAZING!
- If you wear contacts, do not wear them. The combo of hot and cold on your eyelids would not be good. Plus, it really helps to fully relax when you can’t see!
- Come with a clean face without make-up. Or, if you have a little on like I did, they will just take it off for you.
- Schedule for the morning. My appointment was later on in the afternoon, which was fine, but I think it would have been a great way to start my day versus end it. I left feeling energized and relaxed. With that said, don’t plan on going anywhere immediately after so your skin has time to soak up all the nutrients.
- Arrive early. The office is within the Franklin Athletic Club, so allow yourself ample time to find the location and have a few minutes to fill out paperwork surrounding your skin’s history.
If you’re like me, you may want to hug your skin guru after because you feel so rejuvenated. Holly was amazing and I would highly recommend her to any of my friends who have skin issues or are just looking for a relaxing yet educational way to treat your skin.
Thanks to FACE for providing me with a complimentary facial in exchange for a review. To learn more about the many services offered by FACE, visit their Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as their blog.
What is your favorite way to relax and treat yourself? A pedicure, manicure? Massage? Facials? Drop me a comment!