50+ Ideas for Places To Go With Kids In Southeast Michigan During Winter

2.4K Flares 2.4K Flares ×

After searching around to a bazillion websites last year, I grew frustrated when I couldn’t just find a list of ALL indoor places in southeast Michigan that weren’t blatant ads, so I decided to make my own list of places to go in southeast Michigan. This is my cheat sheet for when I need an adventure with the kiddos this winter. Hope it’s helpful to you as well!

This list includes all the indoor fun spots I could find in Genesee, Ingham, Oakland, Macomb, Livingston, Washtenaw and Wayne Counties. I expanded my reach this far because I am smack dab in the middle and am always looking for an adventure and don’t mind a bit of a drive for a fun spot. Make sure to scroll to the bottom, too, for spots/ideas located in multiple counties.

*I was not paid to list any of these spots. All links go directly to the place’s website or Facebook page.*

GENESEE COUNTY

The adorable grocery store at the Flint Children’s Museum

Flint Children’s Museum (Flint)

Flint Institute of Music (Flint)

Sloan Museum/Longway Planetarium/Buick Gallery (Flint)

Crossroads Village & Huckleberry Railroad (Flint)

Frankenmuth (Lots to do in this city!)

Michigan’s Own Military & Space Museum (Frankenmuth)

INGHAM COUNTY

Extreme Fun (Okemos – inside the Meridian Mall)

Impression 5 Hands On Museum (Lansing)

Jumpin Jax Bounce Arena (Lansing)

Play (Lansing)

Potter Park Zoo (Lansing) — Check out the Wonderland of Lights during the holidays!

The tigers of Potter Park Zoo, where many exhibits are indoors

LIVINGSTON COUNTY

2|42 Community Church – Free play structures and indoor soccer field (Brighton)

Bounce (Hartland)

Castaway Play Cafe (Howell)

Great Escape Family Fun Center (Howell)

MACOMB COUNTY

Extreme Fun (Roseville – Inside the Macomb Mall)

Morley Candy/Sander’s Factory Tour (Free – Clinton Township)

C.J. Barrymore’s Sports & Entertainment (Clinton Township)

Joe Dumars’ Fieldhouse (Shelby Township)

OAKLAND COUNTY

Checking out the enormous fish tank at Bass Pro Shops inside Great Lakes Crossings

Airtime Trampoline (Troy)

Boogie Babies (Rochester Hills)

Detroit Kid City (Southfield)

Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak) – There are many wintertime activities!

Great Lakes Crossings (Auburn Hills) – Play in the kids section, take a ride on the carousel, have lunch at Rainforest Cafe and check out the big fish at Bass Pro Shops.

Jeepers (Auburn Hills) –  Roller coasters, bumper cars, and train rides for tykes aged 12 and younger. Also, more than 80 arcade games.

Just My Fit (Wolverine Lake) – Children’s fitness and fun center.

Kensington Mills Falls & Kidz Clubhouse (Milford)

Kids Gotta Play (New Hudson) – Play on the showroom play structures for $5/child!

Rochester Play (Rochester)

Tiny Town Play Lounge (Northville)

Laser Quest (Madison Heights)

Marvin’s Marvelous Mechanical Museum (Farmington Hills)

Meadowbrook Hall (Rochester Hills)

Putting Edge Mini Golf – Glow in the dark (Novi)

Paradise Park (Novi)

Robot Garage (Birmingham)

Safari Playground (Walled Lake)

Cranbrook Institute of Science and Art Museum (Bloomfield Hills)

WASHTENAW COUNTY

Playing in the toddler area at the Ann Arbor Hands On Museum

Ann Arbor Hands On Museum (Ann Arbor)

Domino’s Petting Farm (Ann Arbor)

Great Lakes Zoological Society (Ann Arbor)

Leslie Science & Nature Center (Ann Arbor)

Museum of Natural History (Ann Arbor)

Michigan Firehouse Museum (Ypsilanti)

The Chelsea Treehouse (Chelsea)

WAYNE COUNTY

Arts and Scraps (Detroit)

Belle Isle Aquarium (Detroit)

Bounce It Up (Livonia)

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History (Detroit)

GM Renaissance Center (Detroit) — Free tours daily

Detroit Historical Museum (Detroit)

Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit)

Museum of Contemporary Art (Detroit)

Dossin Great Lakes Museum (Detroit)

Ice skating in Campus Martius Park (Detroit)

Michigan Science Center (Detroit)

Motown Museum (Detroit)

PuppetArt Detroit Puppet Theater (Detroit)

Bouncing Off The Walls (Wyandotte)

Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (Dearborn)

Selfridge Military Air Museum (Mt. Clemens)

Sky Zone (Canton)

Eleanor & Edsel Ford House (Grosse Pointe Shores)

Inside The Henry Ford Museum

OTHER PLACES TO CONSIDER

Bowling alleys

Community theatres — Check for kid-friendly productions!

Community pools

Libraries — Check for free programming

Roller rinks — Check for “Rollers and strollers” events for young kids; open skates for big kids

Ice skating rinks

Nature Centers — Check for winter programming

Sledding (Links to a website full of spots to sled in Michigan)

Chuck E. Cheese’s (Ann Arbor, Canton, Novi, Dearborn, Troy, Rochester Hills, Lansing, Flint)

Huron-Clinton Metroparks (Various locations) – Tons of wintertime programming for kids of all ages.

Jungle Java (Locations in Ann Arbor, Clinton Township, Canton, Farmington Hills)

Planet Rock Climbing Gym (Ann Arbor, Pontiac)

Pump It Up! (Auburn Hills, Canton, Shelby Township, Taylor, Wixom)

Where did I miss? What are your favorite places for kids big and small during winter around southeast Michigan?

2.4K Flares Twitter 15 Facebook 1.1K Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1.3K 2.4K Flares ×

Comments

1. I LOVE that you did this. Thank you now and in advance for the numerous times I’ll be checking it this winter. I’m going to send it to the calendar person in my MOMS Club for ideas, too :)

(One place is the former Detroit Science Center is reopening as the Michigan Science Center. Hopefully my kids will still love it there; I don’t know what they’ve changed. They’re having a press conference on the 4th to announce the official date but are definitely having Planetarium showings during Noel Nights downtown.)
    angela recently posted..Give the Gift of Books – Read It Then Watch ItMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

Thanks so much, Angela and thanks for the tip on Michigan Science Center…Not sure how I missed the reopening news, but that’s SO exciting. I loved that place before and am glad to see it’s reopening :D

2. Thanks for this list! What a great resource.

• Mrs. Weber says:

No problem! Definitely let me know if there are spots I missed or if you come across any great ideas to add :)

3. This is the best list ever!!

I’ve hit all of the Genesse & Ingam county places and Castaway Play in Howell but there are so many other places that we need to check out!!
    Jackie recently posted..Wordful Wednesday – Diary of a Wimpy Kid GiveawayMy Profile

• Mrs. Weber says:

Too funny, I’ve been to all the places except for those in Genesse and Ingham ;) I really want to check out the Longway Planetarium one of these days!

4. This is my kind of site – I always pick up family fun events and put them in my calendar just in case. We enjoy trying new things and places – this will be added to my favorites! Thank you for sharing!

5. People need to note even though this says “All the places found” this is not an entire list of places as there are many many more. FYI

• Mrs. Weber says:

Absolutely, Jill. If you have any suggestions of places to add, please feel free to let me know and I’ll pop them in :)

6. This is an amazing list! I am gong to share it over on the Bargain Shopper Detroit Facebook page!
    Melissa – bargainshoppermom recently posted..Land’s End – 40% Off One Item or 30% Off All KidsMy Profile

7. Just an FYI: Northville is in Wayne County, not Oakland (Tiny Town Lounge). Just wanted to correct that in case someone was looking for anything in Northville.

• Mrs. Weber says:

Thanks for the heads up! I didn’t realize Northville is technically divided between Wayne and Oakland Counties. Looks like most is in O.C. but parts of Northville are in Wayne. How crazy!

8. Beautiful list…i will check this on website…thanks a lot for sharing with us..
    Greta recently posted..Garden Cupcake FrostingsMy Profile

9. Actually probably 90-95% of Northville is in Wayne County. Anything south of 8 Mile Road is Wayne. I actually live in the Oakland County part of Northville & all the time forget that it’s mostly Wayne. :-)

10. This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your
    feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!
    girlsbarcelonacomes recently posted..girlsbarcelonacomesMy Profile

11. Rosea Lee Grima says:

This is a great list! There is also the Michigan Firehouse Museum in Ypsilanti, Wayne county. We haven’t been there yet, but plan to go there soon ~ looks like fun! Here is the link for their website: http://www.michiganfirehousemuseum.org/

• Mrs. Weber says:

Thanks so much! They are on my list under Washtenaw County. I’ve heard awesome things, so you should definitely check it out :D

12. New indoor fun center in Livonia.
    Come in anytime every day includes FREE arcades.
    Birthday Parties and Fundraisers, check out our website
    Also, check out our facebook page.

13. Wow this is just amazing. Thank you so much for all of the great ideas. I didn’t know about most of these great activities and places for kids it just blew my mind. I never would have found some of these places without your help. Thank you

14. Good and helpful list..
    FYI.. Selfridge in Mount Clemens is actually in Macomb County.
    Some other things to consider for Macomb County

Lake Saint Clair Metro Beach (formerly known as Metro Beach)

Plenty of Cider Mills and “pick your own” farms
    My favorite being Blakes (Armada, MI.)

Jungle Java

and of course the seemingly countless Chucky Cheeses.

15. What about places in Grand Rapids, we would love to know. Thanks in advance.

16. Heya! It looks as though we both have a passion for the same
    thing. Your blog, “50+ Ideas for Places To Go In Southeast Michigan During Winter” and mine are very similar.
    Have yyou ever thought of writing a guest article
    for a similar blog? It will certainly help gain exposure to
    your blogg (my website recieves a lot of visitors).
    If you happen tto be interested, email me at: porfiriobracker@gmail.com.
    Thanks
    Cheats For Castle Clash recently posted..Cheats For Castle ClashMy Profile

17. Macomb county now has an Airtime and Sky zone (trampolines )
    Both in Shelby township.
    =)

18. Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert
    that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing to your augment and even I
    achievement you access consistently rapidly.
    Joey recently posted..JoeyMy Profile

19. Right now it looks like BlogEngine is the top blogging platform available right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?
    http://dbvehicleelectrics.wordpress.com/ recently posted..http://dbvehicleelectrics.wordpress.com/My Profile

20. Each new age brought the criminal element forward with
    it. They only want your money and they want as much of it as they can possibly
    get. Daily, even hourly, businesses can see how many individuals
    clicked on their ads and the traffic that is being driven to their website.
    beavercreekminiranch.com recently posted..beavercreekminiranch.comMy Profile

21. This web site certainly has all of the information I wanted concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.
    Facebook Hack recently posted..Facebook HackMy Profile

22. What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this website are really awesome
    for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
    chauffage electrique economique recently posted..chauffage electrique economiqueMy Profile

Trackbacks

1. [...] I made a giant list of places to go, but sometimes you just want to stay inside. Lately, I’ve been wracking my brain with fun [...]

2. […] 50+ Ideas for Places To Go In Southeast Michigan With Kids During Winter […]